Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Letter to my 16 year old self.....

A few blogs that I follow (The Path Less Taken and freeplaylife)  are writing letters to their 16 year old selves. I think this was prompted by a great book by, Joseph Galliano titled, "Dear Me". You can purchase the book, here,  and a kindle version is also available.

So I sat around yesterday thinking of what I would tell a younger me, if given the chance. Would I give witty advice? Sarcasm? A tearful warning? No matter the advice I would give to a younger me, I can tell you that, without a doubt, ALL that I have experienced in my life, has made me who I am today. Without all those bumps and bruises, I wouldn't be me. There are a few things that I would change, and much that I would not.   My life is a testament that I am not, nor have I ever been perfect, but I AM perfectly me, and THAT is worth it all.

Dear Me,
       I know this may seem quite strange, writing a letter to yourself, 22 years in the past, but we are weird, you'll get used to it. ;)  

      I want to start by telling you that YOU are beautiful. Please don't waste another moment wondering if you will ever measure up. You will, and you will by far, exceed your expectations of yourself. YOU are amazing, yes, even at sixteen. I really want you to have more self confidence, because you will learn, that THAT is the most attractive trait you could ever obtain. 
     I also want you to know that you will meet a guy in another year, he's a total douche, avoid him. You know what, on second thought, don't. Go ahead and go out with him, you'll think he hung the moon, but he really didn't. You will think he is everything, but I can tell you now, he isn't. The ONLY good thing that will come from that relationship is your ability to not take shit from anyone, ever again. It's going to be a very rough three years with him. Oh, the first year will be bliss, but after that, it goes down hill, fast. He will leave his mark on you, figuratively, and literally. It's ok. In the end, YOU WIN. 
     Spend more time with your Grandma. I don't care how you get to see her, just go. She will pass away when you are nineteen, and your heart will shatter. Talk to her, more than you do now. Tell her you love her every single day. Take photos of her, so that you can save them for later on in life. You'll need those when times get hard, trust me. Oh, and get her to teach you how to make her nearly famous cat head biscuits. Go fishing her her, again.. and then do it one more time. She's fun, snuff, chewing tobacco and all. Make it a point to make her laugh, hold her hand, for no reason. Hug her tight. 
     I can say the same thing about your Daddy. You will lose him all too soon as well. He loved you more than you could ever know, and he didn't even have to. Listen with all your heart, when he tells you stories of how much he loved your Mom. He really did love her right up until the day he leaves this world. You will seek out a man much like your Daddy, and... {spoiler alert}... you find him.
     Try to pay more attention in history class. I know it's not your favorite, but you will one day wish you had. Apply yourself in Latin, don't just skate by. Yes, you will pass the class, but even after it's all said and done, you won't retain the information.... not that it will really matter, because to this day, you haven't NEEDED to know any Latin. Get out of the library!! Do you not realize there is an entire school full of people that you would find interesting? For every day of your high school career, you spent your lunches IN THE LIBRARY! I know you enjoy reading, but there are people out there waiting to meet you! Go!!
     You have no idea what is in store for you, just know that your life will eventually be so incredibly amazing. You're going to fall in love, for real this time, and he will love you for everything you are, and all that you're not. He will be amazing, this husband of yours. You will know, when you first see him, that HE is the one. It's crazy how it will happen. You won't have to wait too long.. you'll meet him when you are 20. All I can tell you is, don't pour the pitcher of iced water on him.
      I guess the main thing you should take from this, is, love yourself first and ENJOY LIFE. It gets SO much better!

                                                                                               XOXOXO, 
                                                                                                       Me

                                                                                               
    

   
   

1 comment: